Call for Submissions for a Special Teen Issue of Inlandia: A Literary Journey
Now accepting fiction, poetry, nonfiction, graphic novel excerpts, zine excerpts, book reviews, and art for a special issue of Inlandia: A Literary Journey, Inlandia Institute’s online literary journal. Submissions are open to anyone ages 13 – 19. We are also looking for guest editors for this issue. See past teen issues here and here to get a sense of the teen work that has been published. See the FAQs on the submissions page for more information.
Submissions open on December 15, 2019
Submissions close on February 15, 2020.
Guidelines for submission
- You may submit work in more than one category, but please do not submit more than one entry for any category, except poetry and art (you may submit up to five poems or works of art).
- For fiction–there is no minimum word count. Stories should not be longer than 5,000 words. Stories must be self-contained. If you are submitting an excerpt from a novel, it must stand alone. Any genre is okay.
- For nonfiction–there is no minimum word count. Essays and creative nonfiction should not be longer than 3,000 words. Any topic is okay.
- For poetry–you may submit 1-5 poems in a single document. If the formatting might be altered in a Word document, please submit as a PDF. No poem should be longer than one page.
- For graphic novels/zines and the like–this is new to us, and we are leaving it a bit more open to see what comes in. Please submit as a PDF so the formatting is not lost. Consider that work that is very long–like its own graphic novel–will be too long to publish in a journal. Shorter will be better.
- For book reviews–you must write the review yourself. Other than that, we are looking for reviews of titles that will interest teens. Whether those titles are fiction, nonfiction, YA or adult lit is up to you.
- Art–we are looking for work that complements the written pieces and pulls the journal together as a cohesive whole. We won’t know what that is until we receive submissions, but since art is fluid and can be interpreted in many ways, we encourage you to show us some of yours. Submit 1-5 pieces as individual jpgs.
Where do I submit my work?
Submissions accepted only through our Submittable portal here. Mailed or emailed submissions will not be considered.
Is there a submission fee?
No, submissions are free.
How should I format my work?
Please use the following format:
- Margins: one inch on all sides.
- Font: something standard like Times New Roman.
- Spacing: double space your work, unless it is a poem and you want other spacing.
- Header: Number the pages in the upper right. (You don’t need to number the first page, but if you can’t figure out how to make that go away, we won’t count it against you!)
Is there a type of work that you don’t want?
We will not accept pornographic material or work that degrades any gender, race, religion, ability level, etc. In other words, nothing demeaning of others.
I have a question that is not answered here. Who do I ask?Please email your question to Victoria Waddle at email@example.com, and she will do her best to answer it.